The Tulsa Foundation for Architecture recently showcased a mid-20th century modern home overseeing Crow Creek. The unusually long, two-story, flat-roofed house can be found at 2201 E. 26th Place, a location that functioned for decades as a rectory for Boston Avenue Methodist Church. The home is listed for $1.07 million by Coldwell Banker Select.
The Tulsa Foundation for Architecture was founded in 1995 as a resource to celebrate Oklahoma’s architectural heritage by collecting and preserving significant pieces of Tulsa architecture. With the help of art collector George Kravis, the organization revised and republished Tulsa Art Deco, a book that features Tulsa’s history and local architecture.
Foundation Board President Shane Hood stated that there are a lot of people out there who are searching for a different kind of house:
“Any time there is one that is interesting or might have some interesting story behind it, we will usually try to open it up and let people take a look at it and see what it’s about. It’s a way to educate our members, the TFA, about a different style of architecture that they might not have exposure to on an everyday basis. But it’s also an attempt on our part to try to find people to buy these homes instead of having them torn down and mansions built in their place.”
After being built in 1953, the home was purchased and gifted in the 1960s by a member of the Boston Avenue Methodist Church.
Hood refers to the home as “a Bauhaus take on residential architecture,” with its horizontal design, clean lines, and large windows. Bauhaus was an art school in Germany that combined fine arts and crafts from 1919-33.
Since purchasing the house in 2002, the current owners have fully remodeled it, featuring five bedrooms, 4 ½ bathrooms, and 5,000 square feet.
Church and family members in the community are impressed with its renovation.
“It’s something different. It’s an actual piece of architecture. It wasn’t a cookie-cutter design that was plopped down,” says Hood.